CAIRO - 11 October 2020: Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria and Patriarch of St. Mark Diocese on Saturday inaugurated the renovated St. George Church in Shatby, Alexandria.
The pope also inaugurated two altars of the church and ordinated a daughter of one of the church priests.
Built in 1882, the church is ranked seventh among archeological churches in Alexandria.
The church was renovated in 1944 after it had been dedicated for 62 years for funeral prayers only without masses. The church was demolished in 2000 for expansions in the western side.